Sunday, February 24, 2008

Can friendship last a lifetime?

I used to have one best friend when I was back in high school. (Why am I using the past tense 'used'?) We were super close, totally inseparable. We were in the same class for 4 out of 5 years of high school and though we sat together in class, when we got home, we would spend another 2 to 3 hours talking on the phone! I don't know what we talked about but I remember my dad always teasing me wondering how can two people talk so much!!! I remember her staying over in my house and we would lie side by side and talk about our dreams and worries until 6am in the morning. Same thing would happen when I stayed over at her place. I would go over to her house and have dinner with her family and vice versa.

We were best of friends.

But somewhere along the way.. things started to change. I don't know if its just me or its the both of us but I guess we just don't click anymore. There are some friends that you don't see for ages and when you do get in touch, its like nothing has change. You talk occasionally and remember each other's important dates. But we havent talked in ages and.. I don't know..

She recently had a new blog and I was looking through her post and her pictures. She back in Malaysia right now and when I saw pictures of her with our high school friends, I felt really sad looking through it. I was part of it but now..

She also had pictures of her visiting around the world and I'm so happy that she is traveling around the world achieving the dreams that we used to talked about in our never ending phone conversations. But I feel really sad that so many things are happening in her life and not only am I not part of it, I am reading it through a blog to know about it!

I used to think that our friendship would last forever.. That when people talked about growing out of their high school friendship, it would never happen to me. That we would be together forever, attending each other's marriage ceremony, being bridesmaid for each other, having families together and so on.. But..

I know things may not be as bad as it seem or that we are not exactly sworn enemies but I know, things would never be as it used to anymore.

And I feel sad thinking about it...

6 comments:

zewt said...

somehow... i think best friends amongst girls and amongst guys are slightly different...

Anonymous said...

Our friendship will last forever =)
Cheer up!

Cherry Popcorn said...

zewt,
I guess.. Haha.. But I think it depends on the person though. I do have guy friends that I know our friendship will never change and I'm thankful for that! =)

Peng,
Aww.. you're so sweet! You say wan ah! You better stick to it!!! Miss u lots my pengie friend! ^.^

Have fun in your last remaining days in Malaysia. Or are u still in Malaysia?

Take care!

Daniel said...

this happened to me too... be glad for ur friend bcos she fulfills her dreams.. take care

Anonymous said...

Cheer up!
people change, and shouldn't we all look forward to it? (in a terms of friends and buddies)
Well, if it happened to me, i would prefer to think myself as the lucky who was fortunate enough to witness the transition of my best friend, even though we might be as close as before

Josette said...

Friends come and go, people say. Hmmm, if only all can stay for good but that's not quite possible.

I had close friends in secondary school, we were close, did fun stuff together, but then I went to form 6 and they went elsewhere. That's when we separated.

Stuff like this happens, so don't worry so much. This is when we start making new friends all over again. Yeah, making new friends is tough, I totally know that! Finding a best friend is even tougher!

Why don't you contact her and if possible, just go out for lunch or something? If she's not interested, then it's best to move on.