Friday, September 28, 2007

What is a Malaysian Chinese?

Ever since coming to the United States, people have been asking me where I come from. Well.. the obvious answer would be from Malaysia. I'm proud to be a Malaysian. As a matter of fact, I'm the only Malaysian in the whole campus! Haha.. Well.. there's actually another girl who's a Malaysian too but she moved to the United States when she was around 11 years old and she wants to give up her citizenship! So.. haha.. that doesn't really count! =P

But what people don't understand is when they ask what race am I! Am I a Chinese? When I say I am, they would then give me a wide-eyed look and say, "Really? So you're from China?".

"No.. I'm from Malaysia"

"Huh? But you're a Chinese!"

"Yeah, but I'm Malaysian."

"Oh? So you're a Malay Chinese?"

"No, Malay is Malay. Chinese is Chinese. We have a lot of races in our countries. We have Indians too"

"Really? So you're not a Malay? How come? What is a Malay? How do they look like?"

This question is so funny I tell you. I'm sometimes am speechless when I get asked this question. How do you want me to describe them? Em.. They're a bit darker and they're all Muslim? So frustrating.

Then the next question would be..

"So are you parents from China?"

"Em.. No.. But if you really want to know my family's history, my great-great grandparents are from China I guess."

Then they would suddenly have this revelation, thinking .. 'Oh.. she is from China..'


Argh.. So frustrating I tell you! People don't understand it at all! Or maybe.. we are still considered as a foreigner of our own country. Although I'm a Chinese, I never ever considered myself as from China. Never ever felt connected to China or anyway like that. I'm a Malaysian. But people from other countries don't really get that because a foreigner is still a foreigner. Though they have citizenship from that country, they still consider themselves citizens of their home country. Like American Japanese. But what about us? Other people think that of the people of our country.. but...

What does the people in our own country think of us?

15 comments:

merapuman said...

just say that you r a malaysian. one race, one country.

Unknown said...

Actually, rather then spend my time telling them why I'm from Malaysia and yet, dont look like a Malay - just say: You know British Born Chinese or American Born Chinese? Same idea. Malaysian born Chinese.

this normally solves the problem.

When my fellow Msians visit, and we speak English, my housemate was like....'Why are you speaking English to each another' -____-"

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maxwell Chong said...

Americans are so insolent, no wonder osama bombed them.

Anonymous said...

same here..it is quite confusing to foreigners. However, if you have a chinese name then they'll know you're of chinese descent

krystyna said...

Hi Princess Shin!
I like that you're writing what you're thinking and feeling in deep of your heart.
You are who you are!
You are yourself.
Be who you are, be yourself.
You are great, smart, fantastic woman!
Best to you!

Anonymous said...

well, it's funny how americans never thought of themselves as immigrants too.

You can tell the americans their forefathers used to come from ireland/england/etc too, and then ask them are they irish/english/etc or red indians?

Anonymous said...

My Singaporean friend here in Australia had a situation similar too. The Aussie asked whether he's from China, and he replied "No, I'm from Singapore." And the aussie was like "oh..i see..so..which part of China is it?"

My friend : .....

lol!!

Anonymous said...

sorry some typo up there =p

zewt said...

very common for any malaysian chinese being out of the country. we will try to blend the idea of we are malaysian and yet we are also chinese into their brains... often, they are left puzzled. they cant understand why we dont call ourselves malays.... something which we will deny with all our lives... right?

such is our life...

Anonymous said...

You don't really have to go far until the US to find this problem actually. Like for instance me myself, I am an Iban. I come from Sarawak. and some of my West Malaysian friends often thinks that I'm from Sabah and worst of all sometimes they think that Sabah and Sarawak is under one state or maybe like Sabah is a small state in Sarawak or vice versa and one of the most annoying thing that I often get is, when I so back for holidays, they will say "Don't forget about us here in Malaysia". Like Sarawak is not a part of Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

Chinese is every where in the world.

Anonymous said...

they have BBC (British Born Chinese), ABC (American Born Chinese), and over here we have MCA (Malaysian Cina Apek) hahaha ;p

Terra Shield said...

We sound like a compliacted bunch, don't we? Safest bet is saying that you're Malaysian by Nationality.

Miss Positive said...

Well, at least you're there to tell them more about Malaysia. Most people around the world still don't understand how multi-racial we are.